Starting Sept. 30, 2014, Genealogy.com will be making a big change. GenForum
message boards, Family Tree Maker homepages, and the most popular articles
will be preserved in a read-only format, while several other features will
no longer be available, including member subscriptions and the Shop.
Pleasant Hill, TX was an early settlement on the Bagdad to Old Round (TX) Road. An Old School Presbyterian Church was founded there by Rev. R.M. Overstreet of Georgetown. The seven charter members were: Samuel D. (Dinsmore) and Harriet Carothers, Mary J. Mason, Margaret Carothers, Sarah C. Carothers, Mary E. Faires, and Mrs. Sibbi Hanna. The next year, Mrs. Sarah J. Walker transferred her membership and, in 1859, Hester, "a servant girl" of the Carothers' transferred from her church in South Carolina, an early instance of integration.
Ponton, TX Ponton P.O. was in the Samuel D. Carothers home in 1860, near and east of the crossroads point now known as Seward Junction. Carothers brought his large family to settle in Williamson County on Nov 14, 1856. He rode 10 miles to Bagdad and back for his mail and, so, in 1860 he requested a Postoffice called "Tucumcary." The name Ponton was approved, however, on Aug 17, 1860, with Carothers as postmaster. Miss M.J. Faires was postmistress from Dec. 3, 1866 until the office was closed on Apr 27, 1867.