Corbin Family Genealogy Forum
My wife is descended from Rawley's father John.
I don't have a whole lot on Rawley but have provided what I have below.
If this is the correct line for you, I'll be happy to send you a GEDCOM on what I have for John Corbin/Elizabeth Smith.
Be warned, I live in Germany and much of what I have comes from the internet or people I've contacted through the internet. Some is solid information but not all.
Rawley Corbin was born ca 1692-1697, Stafford or Fauquier County, Virginia, the son of John and Elizabeth (Smith) Corbin. He was a witness to the will of Anthony Scott, 7 Jan. 1754, which named Elizabeth Corbin, wife of Thomas Corbin in Culpepper County, Virginia. On the 19 August, 21 May and 22 July, 1765 Rawley appeared in litigation in Culpepper County, Virginia. Kenneth Corbin, who sent the information about Rawley Corbin did not know the name of Rawley's wife.
Children of Rawley Corbin:
1. Jeremiah Corbin: b. ca 1718, maybe Spotsylvania Co., VA; d. prior to 20 Sept. 1790, probably Culpepper Co., VA; m. ca 1740 Elizabeth (? Scott?)
2. Thomas Corbin: b. prior to 1721; d. prior to 21 Jan. 1793, Pittssylvania Co., VA; m. c19 Mar. 1750-
175 1, Elizabeth Scoff
3. Ambrose Corbin: b. prior to 1729, probably Spotsylvania Co., VA; d. prior to 19 Dec. 1808; m. ca
1750, Jean-Jane Crawford.
4. Margaret Corbin: b. d ____ still alive 27 Nov. 1773; m. William Overhall.
Thomas Corbin, son of Rawley Corbin, was born prior to 1721, probably in Spotsylvania Co., Virginia. He died prior to 21 June 1793, Pittsylvania County, Virginia. Thomas married 19 Mar. 1750/1, probably in Culpepper Co., Virginia, Elizabeth Scott, the daughter of Anthony and Jane Scott. She died after 6 Jan. 1802, Pittsylvania County, Virginia.
Thomas Corbin resided in Culpepper County, Virginia. On 21 March 1750, Anthony Scott deeded land to Thomas Corbin and Elizabeth (Scott). In 1765 Thomas Corbin and his wife sold land to Joseph Williams, who in turn sold land to William Corbin of Culpepper County, Virginia.
On 16 June 1763 Thomas Corbin was a land surveyor in Culpepper County, Virginia and his name appears in the deed book D, page 527, 18 Oct. 1764. Thomas Corbin moved to Pittsylvania County, Virginia in 1781/2. On March 1787 Thomas Corbin was exempt from Tax by court order, according to book 5, page 405 of Pittsylvania County, Virginia.
Children of Thomas and Elizabeth (Scott) Corbin:
1. Mary Corbin: b ___ d ___; m. before 24 Dec. 1762, Joseph Williams
2. Rawley Corbin: b. ca 1749, VA; d. ca 1817-19; m. Sarah Kraiiss
3. Ambrose Corbin: b. prior to 8 Oct. 1786, VA
4. Lucy Corbin' b ___ d ca 1825/6, Pittsylvania County, VA; m. ca 1786-1802, (?William) Terry.
5. Susanna Corbin: b. ; d. ca 1822/3, Pittsylvania County, VA
RAWLEY CORBIN (II)
Rawley Corbin, son of Thomas and Elizabeth (Scott) Corbin, was born ca 1749, Virginia. He died ca 1817-19, Clark Co., Kentucky. Rawley married Sarah Krauss. He overcharged for land January 1793 in Pittsylvania County, according to book 1, #6. They moved to Clark County, Kentucky ca 1798 and he purchased land there 27 March 1798.
Children of Rawley and Sarah Corbin:
1. Sarah Corbin: b. 17 May 1772, Pittsylvania Co., VA; d. 17 Oct. 1862, Clark Co., KY; m. 10 Feb.
1796, Pittsylvania Co., VA, Spencer Adams. (not proved she is daughter of this family)
2. Thomas Corbin: b. ca 1770-84, VA; d. one note says prior to April 1812, but another says 3 Oct.
1812, Clark Co., KY; m. 16 Nov. 1795, Pittsylvania Co., VA, Susanna A. "Lucy9 Claybourn
3. a son, name and dates unknown.
4. Nathan Corbin: b. prior to 1791, VA
5. James Fones-Corbin: (although he may belong in another family) b. 13 Nov. 1793, probably Pittsylvania Co., VA; d. 13 Nov. 1875; m. 25 Nov. 1814 or 2 Dec. 1814, Clark Co., KY, Sarah Hanna Bivens (this was an adopted son)
5. Elizabeth Corbin: b. ___; d. ___ m. 2 Nov. 1798, Clark Co., KY, John Haffield (however she may have been the widow of Jeremiah Corbin, uncle of Rawley Corbin).
6. Lucy Corbin: b. ; d. ; m. 16 Oct. 1799, Clark Co., KY, Elijah Elliott
Thomas Corbin, son of Rawley and Sarah Krauss Corbin, was born ca 1770-84 and died (one note says prior to Apr. 1812 and another says 1813), in Clark Co., KY. He moved to Clark County in March 1798. He had married 17 November 1795, Pittsylvania County, Virginia, Susanna A. “Lucy" Claybourn.
Thomas served during the War of 1812 as a substitute for Daniel Snapp, from 15 August 1812 to 4 March 1813 at which time the muster roll lists him as dead. He had been a private, 3rd Sgt., 2nd Sgt. and 1st in the Company of Captain Coleman A. Collier, Infantry, First Regiment, Kentucky Volunteer Militia.
Lucy Claybourn was born ca 1770-84, Virginia and died 7 Apr. 1832. She was the daughter of Barber Claybourn. She married second as his second wife, Harris Adams, 3 October 1812, in Clark County, Kentucky.
Harris Adams was born 20 August 1772 and died 10 February 1835, the son of Allen Adams. He was buried in the Haggard Graveyard, Jackson Perry Road, Ecton Farm, Clark County, Kentucky. He married first 8 October 1795, Frances Chatlin, daughter of John Chatlin. Frances died 27 November 1802, probably in Clark County, Kentucky. He and Frances had the following children:
1. Nathaniel Adams, b. 2 July 1796
2. Peyton Adams: b. 27 Sept. 1798; m. 7 Nov. 1826, Polly Eubank, who was born 22 March
1806; died 3 September 1885, the daughter of Ambrose Bullock Eubank. Her nephew was W. Z. Eubank, who died 7 April 1832.
3. Patsey Adams: b. 11 Sept. 1801; d. 27 Jan. 1838; m. David Haggard.
Children of Thomas and Lucy (Claybourn) Corbin:
1. James Corbin: b. 1793/95, Pittsylvania County, VA, d. 13 Nov. 1875; m~ Sarah Bivens. (or was this James Corbin an uncle of America Corbin, rather than a brother or cousin or adopted?)
2. America Corbin: b. ca 1800, Clark Co., KY; d. in Cooper Co., MO; m. 15 Nov. 1818, Clark Co., KY, Presley Garret Ware. (see the Ware file for additional information on this family.)
JAMES CORBI N
James Corbin may have been a son of Thomas and Susanna B. "Lucy" (Claybourn) Corbin. He was born ca 1793/95, Pittsylvania, Virginia. Information from Kenneth Corbin of KY in 1994 indicated James was adopted by James Corbin. He died 13 November 1875, Owensburg, Greene Co., Indiana and is buried
in the Kentucky Ridge Cemetery in Martin, Indiana.
James Corbin married Sarah Hanah Bivens, who was born 1 October 1796, North Carolina and died 1 February 1889, Indiana and is buried in the Kentucky Ridge Cemetery, Martin, Indiana. Sarah was the daughter of Randale and Margaret "Peggy" Routt) Bivens.
James Corbin served in the War of 1812 and the Mexican War in 1846. He married second 29 January 1868, Anna Phipps.
Children of James and Sarah Bivens Corbin:
1. Thomas Corbin: b. 11 July 1820, Clark Co., KY; d. 15 Dec. 1884 and is buried at the Old Salem Cemetery, Martin, Indiana. He married 26 May 1838, Lawrence, Indiana, Mary Evans.
2. Jesse Corbin: b. 24 Nov. 1825, Clark Co., KY; d. 11 Mar. 1894, Owensburg, Green Co., Indiana; m.
16 Dec. 1843, Deliah Jackson
3. Elizabeth Corbin: b. 20 Jan. 1826, either Clark Co., KY or Lawrence, Indiana: d. 5 Nov. 1846, buried Ridge Cemetery, Martin, Indiana; m. 5 May 1839, Henry Ruhottom.
4. Albert Corbin: b. 18 Nov. 1829, Lawrence Co., Indiana; d. 24 July 1899, Bollinger, MT,; m. 12 Dec.
1850, Green Co., Indiana, Sarah Hatfield.
5. Benjamin Franklin Corbin: b. 16 Oct 1831, Lawrence, Indiana; d. 21 June 1874, Green Co., Indiana, buried at Pleasant Ridge Cemetery, Green Co., Indiana; m. 4 Nov. 1855, Green Co., Indiana, Lucinda Haffield
6. William B. Corbin: b. 1834, Indiana (listed in 1850 census as an idiot)
7. George Washington Corbin: b. ca 1837/8, Green Co., Indiana; d. 16 July 1863, Vicksburg, Warren Co., MI, buried National Cemetery #5901; m. 9 July 1857, Nancy Hatfield
8. Randall Corbin
9. Daniel Corbin
10. James Corbin, Jr.: b. ca 1836/37, Lawrence Co., Indiana; reported missing in action during the Civil War, 14 May 1864; m. 31 Jan. 1856, Sarah Ann Roberts.
1. Kenneth Corbin of Louisville, KY, who cites:
1. Richard Co., VA order book
2. Deposition 1 Sept. 1724, Orange Co., VA gave age as 36 yrs. old
3. Reports of Mary Smith, 105 Emerald Dr., Tusuumbia, AL 35674
4. Tax records 19 Apr. 1810
5. Report of Jewell B. Krauss, 108 N. Jackson, Rushville, IL 62681
6. Report of Mrs. David Gladliart, 3 Box 78, Pierce, II) 83546
2. Marylin Corbin, 4331 Pontiff~ Waterford, Michigan (descendent of James and Susanna Corbin through Thomas and 2nd wife, Amanda Phipps Corbin
3. Martin Co., Indiana federal census records
4. Service Statements
5. Bible Records from the Bible of Harris Adams, which was given to Peyton Adams, then to W. Z. Eubank.
Provided by K. Whitmore who copied it from:
2409 QUANTICO CT.
SAN JOSE. CA 95128-3459