Jane, the answer to your question is yes.
Raphael Cummings Smead was born November 22 1801 in New Hampshire(possibly Washington, NH). Married Sarah Matilda Radcliffe on 9 Dec 1829 in New York and died 20 Aug 1848 at Fort Monroe, VA. He was a graduate of West Point Academy and also taught there. He died of Yellow Fever while returning home from the Mexican Wars. He and Sarah Matilda are both buried(along with a number of their children) at the Ashland Cemetery in Carlisle, PA. somewhere I have Photos of their gravestones. He was the son of Selah Smead and Elizabeth Cummings.
Sarah Matilda Radcliffe was the daughter of John Radcliffe and Jane Van Ness, born of 19 Jul 1809 in Red Hook, Dutchess Co, New York. She died in Carlisle, Cumberland Co, PA on 20 Oct 1891.
I have Six children on record for them
1. John Radcliffe Smead born 1 Nov 1830 who was married to a lady named Annie. He died 30 Aug 1862 during the 2nd battle of bull run when he was hit in the head by a confederate cannon ball. Buried at Ashland Cemetery Graduated West Point.
2. Elizabeth Cummings Smead born 1 July 1835 in Oswego, NY died 6 Dec 1919 Unmarried
3. Jane Van Ness Smead born 27 Apr 1837 in New York, NY married 8 Aug 1865 at the 2nd Pres. Church in Carlisle, PA to John Hays(An Attorney) Died 20 Apr 1925 in Carlise, PA Buried at Ashland Cemetery in the Hays Family plot She is my Ancestor.
4. Raphael Cummings Smead, Jr. born 1 Sept. 1840. Died 25 May 1869 Unmarried
5. Sarah Cornelia Smead born May 1842 in Washington, New Hampshire Died 24 Jan 1919.
6. Alexander Dallas Bache Smead born 24 Mar 1848 in Carlisle, PA Named for his father's close friend Alexander Dallas Bache, Benjamin Franklin's grandson. Married Feb 1880 to Martha Jane Stuart in Carlisle, PA Died 6 Feb 1931 in Carlisle, PA
How this has helped you out, let me know if you want more.
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|