I would like to encourage any male who is or might be a descendant of Obediah Vowell to join the Family Tree DNA Voyles/Vowell DNA Project. Will Hendricks is co-administrator of that project, and he intends to make the Vowell part a separate project in the near future.
Family Tree DNA now has a Family Finder DNA test which is for males or females; it can find male or female relatives among people who have taken the Family Finder test. I would like to encourage male or female descendants of Obediah Vowell to take the Family Finder DNA test.
I believe but can't prove Obediah Vowell had the following children:
(1) David Vowell who married Leah Edmondson in 1814 in Pendleton District, SC; lived 1820 in Gwinnett Co., GA; 1830 Coweta Co., GA (near John Vowell); 1840 don't know; and may have died ca. 1845 in AL. Records of the 1821 GA Land Lottery show that David Vowel, a resident of Gwinnett Co., drew lot #290 of section 9 in Henry Co. in the 1821 Lottery. I don't know if he ever lived on the lot. David Vowell was enumerated as David Vowel on the 1824 State Census of Gwinnett Co., GA. David's age of 16-26 on the 1820 Census indicates he was born 1794-1804.
One David Vowel served as a Private in Nash's Regiment, South Carolina Volunteers, during the War of 1812.
The GA Department of Archives and History has the following military record:
Ens., Gwinnett Co. Sept. 25, 1823-Aug. 5, 1824.
Military records 1808-1829, p. 111.
David and Leah Vowell may not have had children. Leah Vowell was enumerated as Lear Vowel without any children on the 1850 Census of Bibb Co., AL, in the household of Robert and Cinthia Defir. She was still in the Defir household on the 1860 Census of Bibb Co., AL. Both Censuses show Leah was born in SC.
(2) Elizabeth Vowell who was head of a household with 4 children on the 1830 Census of Pickens Co., SC. Her age of 30-40 indicates she was born 1790-1800.
NOTE: I don't know who the 4 children were in the 1830 household, and I don't know where Elizabeth Vowell was on the 1840 Census. She could be the same person as Elizabeth Vowell head of household with 7 children on the 1850 Census of Tallapoosa Co., AL.
(3) Jane Vowell, b. May 22, 1794; married Simeon Conger on Sept. 17, 1812, in Pendleton District, SC; they lived 1820 in Gwinnett Co., GA (David Vowell was also in Gwinnett Co. in 1820); 1830 Gwinnett Co., GA; 1840 Cobb Co., GA; 1850 probably Cobb Co., GA; 1860 Upshur Co., TX. I've read that Simeon and Jane Conger both died in Upshur Co., TX.
Simeon and Jane (Vowell) Conger had the following children:
1. Jonas L. V. Conger, b. Sep. 10, 1813.
2. David V. Conger, b. Jan. 10, 1815.
3. Harte Conger, b. May 24, 1818.
4. Sara Ann Conger, b. Jul. 14, 1822.
5. Johely Conger, b. Oct. 17, 1824.
6. Rachel Elizabeth Conger, b. May 17, 1826.
7. Mary Conger, b. Apr. 27, 1827.
8. Tildy Yager Conger, b. Apr. 27, 1829.
9. William Coffey Conger, b. Oct. 20, 1831.
NOTE: Simeon Conger was son of Benjamin and Rachel Conger. Benjamin Conger was a Revolutionary War soldier.
(4) Malachi Vowell (b. 1795-d. 1861) who married Nancy Leopard (b. 1801-d. 1878) in 1827 in Fayette Co., GA; they lived 1830, 1840, and 1850 Carroll Co., GA; 1851 until their deaths Winston Co., MS. 1850 Census shows Malachi was born in SC; however, Obediah Vowell was apparently in Granville Co., NC, in 1795.
Malachi and Nancy (Leopard) Vowell had the following children:
1. Valentine Vowell, b. ca. 1828-1829, probably Carroll Co., GA; m. 1st, Mary Smith, Nov. 9, 1848, Carroll Co., GA. No known children. They divorced ca. 1860 in Winston Co., MS. Valentine m. 2nd, Martha Jane Permenter, Nov. 1, 1860, Winston Co., MS. Valentine Vowell d. during the Civil War on Oct. 1, 1861, at home in Plattsburg in Winston Co., MS. Martha Jane (Permenter) Vowell d. Apr. 24, 1908, in Winston Co., MS
2. Viney Vowell, b. Jan. 5, 1831, probably Carroll Co., GA; m. Gilbert Thrasher, Sep. 12, 1853, Winston Co., MS. Gilbert Thrasher d. during the Civil War on Oct. 25, 1864, in Richmond, VA; bur. in marked grave in Oakwood Confederate Cem., Richmond, VA. Viney (Vowell) Thrasher d. Oct. 8, 1895, Winston Co., MS.
3. Violet Vowell, b. Feb. 1834, probably Carroll Co., GA; m. 1st, William James Green, Sep. 12, 1853, Winston Co., MS. William James Green d. during Civil War in 1864 at Tanner's Ferry, GA; bur. in unknown military cemetery near Atlanta, GA. Violet m. 2nd, Josiah Tate, Dec. 17, 1865, Leake Co., MS. Josiah Tate d. Jul. 15, 1902, probably Leake Co., MS. Violet (Vowell) Green Tate d. Jul. 14, 1906, probably Leake Co., MS.
4. Vinson Vowell, b. ca. 1836-1837, probably Carroll Co., GA; m. Epsey Elizabeth Bennett, Aug. 1863, Winston Co., MS.
Vinson Vowell d. Sep. 10, 1895, probably Winston Co., MS. Epsey Elizabeth (Bennett) Vowell d. between 1900 and 1910, probably in Winston Co., MS.
5. Vinyard Vowell, b. Oct. 15, 1837, probably Carroll Co., GA; m. 1st, Eliza C. Bennett, May 28, 1865, Winston Co., MS. Eliza C. (Bennett) Vowell d. ca. 1866 in Winston Co. Vinyard m. 2nd, Nancy Gainey, Sep. 8, 1867, Winston Co., MS. Vinyard Vowell d. May 21, 1915, Winston Co., MS. Nancy (Gainey) Vowell d. Jan. 6, 1925, at Zama in Attala Co., MS.
6. Vienna Vowell, b. ca. 1841-1842, probably Carroll Co., GA; m. William Bates "Bill" Hamilton, Dec. 29, 1861, Winston Co., MS. William Bates "Bill" Hamilton d. Nov. 21, 1912, Winston Co., MS. Vienna (Vowell) Hamilton d. Dec. 25, 1912, Winston Co., MS.
7. Vandiver Vowell, b. Oct. 15, 1842, probably Carroll Co., GA, or possibly Troup Co., GA; m. Atsa Elizabeth Ethridge, Aug. 3?, 1866, Winston Co., MS. Vandiver Vowell d. Oct. 30, 1921, Webster Parish, LA. Atsa Elizabeth (Ethridge) Vowell d. Feb. 16, 1926, in Webster Parish, LA.
8. Virginia Clifton Vowell, b. Jun. 30, 1845, probably Carroll Co., GA; m. Thadious L. "Thad" Leopard, Nov. 5?, 1864, Winston Co., MS. Virginia (Vowell) Leopard d. Mar. 15, 1881, probably Winston Co., MS. Thad Leopard m. 2nd, Mattie A. Richardson, Nov. 30, 1881, Winston Co., MS. Mattie A. (Richardson) Leopard d. Nov. 18, 1882, probably in Winston Co., MS. Thad Leopard m. 3rd, Charity Melzina Wood, Apr. 18, 1883, Winston Co., MS. Charity Melzina (Wood) Leopard d. May 15, 1922. Thadious L. "Thad" Leopard d. Jun. 16, 1924, in Neshoba Co., MS.
9. John Henry Vowell, b. ca. 1848-1849, probably Carroll Co., GA; m. 1st, Leanna Keen, Sep. 1870, Leake Co., MS. Leanna (Keen) Vowell d. Apr. 28, 1895, probably in Winston Co., MS. John m. 2nd, Amanda (Blaine) Devine Allgood, Sep. 5, 1895, Winston Co., MS. They didn't live together very long. John Henry Vowell d. 1908, probably Winston Co., MS.
NOTE: My husband, Gerald L. Vowell, is a descendant of two of the children of Malachi and Nancy (Leopard) Vowell:
Viney Vowell and her husband Gilbert Thrasher, and John Henry Vowell and his first wife, Leanna Keen.
Possible children of Obediah Vowell (continued):
(5) John Vowell (1800-1892) who married Elizabeth Stegall ca. 1825-1826; they lived 1830 and 1840 Coweta Co., GA; 1850 Troup Co., GA; 1860 and later in Calhoun Co., AL. Most Census records show John was born in SC. Family of John and Elizabeth have records which indicate both John and Elizabeth were one-quarter Cherokee Indian. John and Elizabeth Vowell died in Calhoun Co., AL. John and Elizabeth had the following children:
1. William Vowell, b. May 1, 1827; d. Jan. 29, 1893; m. Martha Phillips.
2. Elizabeth Vowell, b. 1831; d. Aug. 12, 1886; m. Peter Newton "Coot" Acker after the death of his first wife, Leah Vowell; Leah was Elizabethís sister.
3. Leah A. Vowell, b. 1833; d. 1858; m. Peter Newton "Coot" Acker.
4. John Wesley Vowell, b. 1834; d. 1877; m. Sally Armstrong.
5. Adeline Vowell, b. 1836.
6. Amanda Vowell, b. 1838; m. Columbus Perkins.
7. David Nathaniel Vowell, b. Nov. 1842; d. May 10, 1926; m. Annie (Peal) Jones.
8. Martha Ann Vowell, b. 1843; d. Jul. 15, 1915; m. William Richard Formby.
9. Francis Marion Vowell, male, b. Jul. 9, 1849; d. Aug. 16, 1935; m. Belle Sassmett?.
(6) Nathaniel Vowell of Randolph Co., AL in 1840 (wife unknown). His age of 20-30 in 1840 indicates he was born 1810-1820. He had land records in 1833 and 1838 in Coweta Co., GA; court records in 1847 and 1848 in Tallapoosa Co., AL. I haven't found later records of him. I believe Nathaniel Vowell's family was enumerated on the 1850 Census of Tallapoosa Co., AL, without him:
Elizabeth Vowell, age 50? (1799-1800?) or 60? (1789-1790?); b. SC.
Mary Vowell, 17 (b. ca. 1832-1833), b. GA. (Full name probably Mary Jane Vowell.)
William Vowell, 15 (b. ca. 1834-1835), b. GA. (Full name possibly William Franklin Vowell.) He married Mary Jane Self but they soon divorced.
Hamilton Vowell, 13 (b. ca. 1836-1837), b. GA. (Full correct name Hampton Garmony Vowell.) He married Martha Ann Self.
John Vowell, 11 (b. ca. 1838-1839), b. GA. (Middle initial probably M.; middle name unknown to me; name was John M. Vowell.) He died during Civil War in 1864 in Winston Co., MS.
Green Vowell, 9 (b. ca. 1840-1841), b. GA.
Thomas Vowell, 7 (b. ca. 1842-1843), b. AL. (Full name Thomas Jefferson Vowell). He married Amanda Lowery.
Jackson Vowell, 5 (b. ca. 1844-1845), b. AL. (Full name Andrew Jackson "Andy" Vowell.) He married Anna Liza Hinze.
NOTE: I'm not sure if Elizabeth Vowell was mother of the children. She seems too old to be the mother of the youngest children. She could be the same person as Elizabeth Vowell on the 1830 Census of Pickens Co., SC.
(7) Rachel Vowell who was enumerated next to David Vowell on 1820 Census of Gwinnett Co., GA. Her age of 10-16 in 1820 indicates she was born 1804-1810. She seems too young to be living alone. I've wondered if she could have been Obediah Vowell's wife, Rachel (Frazier) Vowell, with her age listed incorrectly.
NOTE: This is not the Rachel Vowell who married Hamilton Storey. Rachel Vowell who married Hamilton Storey was a younger woman, born ca. 1825-1826.
(8) Since Obediah Vowell and Rachel Frazier married in 1786, it's possible there were children older than those listed above. Iíve done a lot of research on each of the above, but I can't actually prove they were children of Obediah Vowell. If anyone has any proof, I'd like to know. I can provide additional information about the above families.
Notify Administrator about this message?
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|