Herman [Armin] Zerkowitz died in Vienna on 10 March 1895, age 36 years. Less than a month prior to his death (16 Feb. 1895), he had married Cecilia Romer, b. 20 May 1858. She was approximately six months pregnant with their child, and the baby -- born posthumously on 29 May 1895 -- was named Hermine in honor of her deceased father.
Until I read your post, I had no additional information on Hermine. I do know, however, that her mother, "Cazilie Zerkowitz", was living at 2, Scholzg. 1a in 1930. I believe she died that year, although I do not yet have confirmation of that.
The "Samuel Zerkowitz" who witnessed Hermine's marriage in 1924 was almost certainly her uncle. I have long suspected that there was an unrecorded son of Philip and Bertha (Groag) Zerkowitz whose name was Samuel.
Let me give you a quick summary of what I know about this family. Some of the information has changed.
Philip Zerkowitz was b. in Trencin, Hungary [now Slovakia], 18 August 1830, the son of Nathan Samuel /"Sandor" Kohn-Zerkowitz (1783-1847) and Cecilia (KNOPFELMACHER) Kohn-Zerkowitz (1795-1885). He was m. in Vienna, 6 May 1856, to Bertha /"Betty" Groag [b. Leipnik, Moravia, 28 June 1833, d. Vienna, 7 May 1907], dau. of Herman and Netti Groag. Philip d. in Vienna, 7 March 1908 in his 78th yr.
Five known children:
1. Alexander [Sandor] Zerkowitz, b. Vienna, August 1857; d. Vienna, 18 June 1858, age 10 months. [It was ANOTHER Alexander Zerkowitz (of Graz, Austria) who had a wife named Jenny.]
2. Armin [Herman] Zerkowitz, b. Vienna, 5 June 1858; d. Vienna, 10 March 1895, age 36. He m. in Vienna, 16 Feb. 1895, Cecilia Romer, b. 20 May 1858, likely d. in Vienna, 1930. A dau., Hermine Zerkowitz, was b. posthumously, Vienna, 29 May 1895. According to your information, she m. 17 Aug. 1924, Max Marzwell Farber (1904-1979).
3. Flora Zerkowitz, b. Vienna, c.1860; m. in Vienna, 8 April 1883, Julius Rosenfeld, b. Brno, 25 June 1849, son of Joseph and Rosa (Kolisch) Rosenfeld. They had three daughters: (a) Marianne Rosenfeld; (b) Susi Rosenfeld; and (c) Angela Rosenfeld (who m. a man named Ashenheim)
4. Ida Zerkowitz, b. Vienna, c.1862. No further information.
5. [unnamed daughter], b. Vienna, 29 July 1863; d. Vienna, 31 July 1863, age 2 days.
6. probably Samuel Zerkowitz, b. Vienna, c.1865. He was probably the Samuel Zerkowitz who witnessed Hermine's marriage in 1924. He did not live in Vienna, but I have not yet determined where he resided. He was named in honor of his paternal grandfather, Nathan Samuel Kohn-Zerkowitz (1783-1847).
Unfortunately, I cannot add anything new to your search for Hermine. I had stopped with this branch of the family once I discovered Hermine's birth record. However, I would be happy to join forces with you and see if we can get to the bottom of this. I will begin my own quest to find "Gunther Farber" [Hermine's son]. It does seem possible that the Hermine Koerner who died in NYC in 1972 might be her.
|Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Jobs | PRIVACY | Affiliate|
|© 2007 The Generations Network|